Everyday lives of the Meabon Household

Monday, May 17, 2010

Becoming Texans Again

You've got to love moving companies - not quite the customer service I'm use to from my days at the Four Seasons! After a great final week in Atlanta, we were finally ready for the big move. We knew the movers would be at our house on Thursday by 8am so Jared and I had a great last dinner date night in Decatur on Wednesday, handled some packing details and set our alarms for early on Thursday morning. Since the movers were coming so early on Thursday, we thought we could get an early start on the road and try to get some miles behind us on Thursday afternoon once they finished up.

The alarm went off at 6:00am on Thursday, we finished the final details and were waiting anxiously by the windows for the moving truck to pull up. My mom flew in Thursday to help her pregnant daughter drive 16 hours across the country. When I left to pick her up from her 10am flight, we still didn't have a moving truck so Jared made a call. "Oh, we're just around the corner and should be there by 11am." Great! Just a few hours behind but we can still finish up early and get on the road.

To make a very frustrating story short, the truck finally pulls up at 4pm with Eli, the head mover, announcing that our initially quoted price would be double due to "all of your stuff". Really? Our quote included the square footage of our house, detailed information about what was being sent and how much "stuff" we had. Really? Double the price? Really??? Fine. Whatever. Just get our "stuff" on the truck and let's go. Eli promised they'd be done by 8pm - NO PROBLEM.

Well, as we were finally watching the very last of our "stuff" pack onto the truck at midnight, you can imagine the exhaustion and pure frustration all three of us were feeling. Ughhh!!! And to top it all off, we were asked our preferred delivery date which had already been confirmed. We reconfirmed for Thursday, May 27 and were told that this was our "first day of available delivery" and were promised that our "stuff" would arrive within 21 working days of this available date. Really??? That's the end of June! REALLY!?!?!? I couldn't help but think as we watched the truck pull away that it was the last time I would ever see my earthly possessions....goodbye bed, goodbye lamp, goodbye dining room table. Oh, I'm sure we can make due with some folding chairs and an air mattress in our new home! I'll keep y'all updated as we receive updates on "our stuff"....as of now, no news.

We love our friends, Kris and Lindsey, for being the type of friends we can call at midnight for a place to crash. And if anyone ever needs a place to crash, the Arvisos have the most comfortable guest beds I have ever laid on! Make your reservations now for Hotel Arviso! After a few hours of shut eye, we hit the road at 7am on Friday for the trek - Mom and me in one car with Rooney and Jared in the other with Kitty.

Funny side note for those of you that know Rooney, aka The Toons. Rooney can be a bit, um, special at times. Our vet had given us dog Xanex to knock him out and help his nerves on the road.
Instructions: Give him half a pill every 4-8 hours. Half a pill should make him pretty groggy but he'll still be able to function. He might just be a bit wobbly on his feet when he gets out for bathroom breaks.
After 1/2 pill and one 1/2 hours, the Toons was still bouncing off the wall so I popped in another 1/2 pill. I thought it finally started kicking in. His eyes were glassy and he was sitting up in the back seat but definitely doing the high school math class head bob.

We stopped about 1 hour after half pill #2, opened the door and Rooney bolted out the door, sprinting towards the highway! It was like the kid just lapped up 5 Red Bulls! And I'm sure I'm creating a pretty picture of a 7 month pregnant lady chasing down and tackling a small dog before he bolted across the highway. Clearly, our dog is immune to dog Xanex. We tried a full pill on day 2 and no luck. I wonder if an elephant tranquilizer would do the trick???

After a stop in Lafayette, LA for a crawfish broil with Jared's clients, we made it to Beaumont to spend the night, continued on our way on Saturday morning, drove through torrential storms in Houston and finally made it to San Antonio around 11am on Saturday.

Brent came in for the night so we got to spend some QT with him and are so excited to be close to Austin so we can visit Brent and Rooney and Kitty's cousin Disco on a regular basis. We're at Mom and Steve's for about 2 weeks and the SA house is well under way with hardwood floors going in this week and painting this week and next. Now, we're just praying we see our stuff pull up sometime in the next two weeks. If not, a folding chair makes a lovely living room piece!

On the baby front, we had the first appointment with my new OB, Dr. Cox, this morning. We love Dr. Cox! He put Jared and me immediately at ease and made it feel like switching doctors at 28 weeks of pregnancy was perfectly normal. We have our appointment set up with the perinatologists for next Friday, May 28 and we'll meet with the pediatric surgeons just after that. Hopefully we'll have our scheduled due date by next Friday so I'll keep you updated there as well.

Thank you for your prayers over the last week! It has definitely been a test on our nerves and sanity but we're excited about the next few weeks and what San Antonio has in store. This week we'll make the title of Texans official again at the DMV....oh, I just can't wait for the customer service that awaits us :)


{kimmymade} said...

Glad that's behind you now!! Unfortunately, this seems to be par for the course with cross-country moves, per our experience and those of our friends. So while this is maddeningly frustrating and stressfu, at least know that it hasn't happened to you alone. Our final cost ended up much higher than our initial quote, and our stuff took 3 weeks to arrive. And this happened to our friends as well.

{kimmymade} said...

And now that I've read the rest of your post ... Welcome back to Texas!! Really glad thatyou like your new doctor :-)

boo and stacy said...

Loved reading your blog Brooke! Glad y'all are safe at home with your mom and Steve! Can't wait to see the new hard wood floors! Glad you like Bryan! He is a great man, send him a hello from us!

Love the Toons story, I'm doing the math nod as we speak.

Amanda Kelly said...

So glad yall finally made it safely to SA! Can't wait to see the new house once it gets completed!! Thinking about yall and sending lots of love! XOXO!

Kristin said...

Sorry you had such a stress with the movers. People stink! Glad that you made it safely here and I can't wait to see pictures of your new house. Knowing you, it'll be beautiful!

Julie said...

So glad you arrived safely AND extremely happy that you like your new doctor! We are in full packing mode- truck comes to start loading on Wednesday and we will be in Austin on Thursday! Can't wait to see you soon!!

OmomtoJ said...

That is great that your OB appointment went well. I had to switch to a high risk OB at 20 weeks because of Jackson's omphalocele, I was devastated because I LOVED my midwife but did what I had to do for my little man! I ended up really like the OB's there and loving the midwife who actually attended my emergency c-section (because Jackson just didn't want to stay in until the scheduled one) while an on call OB delivered Jackson...life throws curve balls, all you can do it try your best!
Good luck!

Wish your move had gone smoother though!!